10 Easy Ways Your Office Can Go Green:Whether you run a home-based business or a brick-and-mortar retail business, there are simple, easy things you can do to go green. Operating a green business is not only good for the environment but good for your business’s bottom line because conserving resources and cutting down on waste saves money.
Here are ten ideas for running a green business from the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade’s Greening Operations Guide. Put them into place right now to make your business a more Eco- Friendly place.
1. Turn off equipment when it’s not being used. This can reduce the energy used by 25 percent; turning off the computers at the end of the day can save an additional 50 percent.
2. Encouraging communications by email, and reading email messages onscreen to determine whether it’s necessary to print them. If it’s not, don’.
3. Reduce fax-related paper waste by using a fax-modem and by using a fax cover sheet only when necessary. Fax-modems allow documents to be sent directly from a computer, without requiring a printed hard copy.
4. Produce double-sided documents whenever possible.
5. Do not leave faucet dripping; always close them tightly after use. (One drop wasted per second wastes 10,000 liters per year.)
6. Install toilet dams in toilet reservoirs. Placing one or two plastic containers filled with stones(not bricks) in the toilet’s reservoir will displace about 4 liters of water per flush – a huge reduction of water use over the course of a year.
7. Find a supply of paper with maximum available recycled content.
8. Choose suppliers who take back packaging for reuse.
9. Search for “greener” products and services in your community. The further your supplies or service providers have to travel, the more energy will be used to get them to you.
10. See if your office furniture can be refinished. It’s less expensive than buying new and better for the environment. So before you decide to purchase new office furniture, try and refinish what you already have.
A Green Business Starts With Small Steps:
Environmentally friendly actions don’t have to be large to have an impact. Consistently reducing the amount of energy, water, and paper our businesses use can make a huge difference, both to the environment and to our pocketbooks. How much paper would you save over the course of a year, for instance, if you always ran double sided copies? A small easy way to go green -BUT A BIG RESULT!